Monday, April 2, 2012

birthday weekend

all i wanted for my birthday was a cat.  since matt took care of that a month ago, but still insisted on doing something for my actual birthday (even though i kept telling him that padfoot was all i wanted), i compromised.  i let him take me to see hunger games and then to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, p.f. chang's.  i'll get to that in a minute.

friday night we ran a few errands, then went home and had a dinner of cheese, salami, crackers, and wine while we watched young adult.  i gotta tell you, i was disappointed in this movie.  i mean, charlize theron was great it it, but I was expecting it to be much funnier.  matt and i both thought it was just sad.

anyway, saturday found matt having to put in a 6-hour work day, so i cleaned the house.  saturday night we went over to see our good friends, matt and steph.  we hadn't seen them since september, which is definitely a record, so it was great catching up with them and seeing how much their 2 boys have grown.  they made steaks on the grill and even got me a birthday cake!  they are some of our favorite people, and i'm so glad we finally got to catch up with them.

sunday, i lounged around for a bit until it was time to head out for my birthday date.  we had reservations for dinner at 6, so we chose the 2:45 showing.  you guys, i loved the movie.  I thought it was so brilliantly done.  even with the things I knew were missing, i didn't really miss them too much.  my biggest disappointment was that haymitch was too sober and that they cut out the whole thing with peeta losing his leg and their time in the cave.  but all in all, i thought the director showed great care with the material.  i was definitely impressed.

after the movie, we went to our dinner at p.f. chang's.  they have a prix fixe menu for $40 for 2 people that includes soup, an appetizer, entrees, and dessert.  i ordered the egg drop soup and we shared the chicken lettuce wraps.  for dinner i got the orange peel chicken.  i always get that, and sometimes say i'm going to branch out and try something new, but i never do.  the orange peel chicken is pretty much perfect, so i stick with it.  for dessert, you could split one big one or each get a small "mini" dessert.  we chose to each get our own.  i got the red velvet cake and matt got the great wall of china.  they were really mini - they were in shot glasses.  but it was kind of perfect, because i don't think my stomach could have handled much more. 

it was such a wonderful weekend.  i am truly blessed to have such wonderful friends and family in my life.  i got so many text messages and facebook messages, plus phone calls from my parents and sister.  i am a lucky girl. 

how was your weekend?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Sounds like a good weekend to me!

C said...

Young Adult was totally depressing. I still really loved it though. That sounds like a great date. Dinner and a movie always works for us!